ground pork enchiladas, cilantro lime rice
- 1 lb ground pork
- Lidl’s green chile enchilada sauce (https://www.lidl.com/products/1166550)
- 1 package soft tortillas (about six)
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper (we used yellow)
- 1 cup Mexican cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 T cumin
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 8 oz sour cream
The How To:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your rice, zest of 1/4 lime, chopped cilantro, and chicken stock to your rice cooker. Set it and forget it.
- Chop your onion, pepper, and garlic and sauté in a cast iron pan with a little bit of olive oil.
- When translucent, set aside in separate bowl, and sauté pork in the cast iron pan until lightly browned. Drain the fat/liquid off of the pork and add the vegetable mixture back to the pan and mix. Add cumin, salt, and pepper. Add a little less than 1/4 of your enchilada sauce to the mix. Stir.
- Take an 8×8 square baking dish and lightly drizzle about 1/4 of your enchilada sauce onto the bottom.
- Taking one tortilla at a time, line the pork and vegetable mix in the center of the tortilla. Roll it and place in your baking dish. Ours fit about six enchiladas.
- Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro.
So, what’s it cost?
- 1 lb ground pork: $2.99
- Lidl’s green chile enchilada sauce: $2.49
- 1 package soft tortillas (about six): $.99
- 1 onion: $.89
- 1 pepper (we used yellow): $.68
- 1 cup Mexican cheese: $1.00
- 2 cloves of garlic: $.16
- 1 cup white rice: $.10
- 2 cups chicken stock: homemade
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro: from garden
- 1 lime: $.33
- 8 oz sour cream: $.69
Total is $10.32, or $3.44/person.