sweet corn zucchini bake
This is quite possibly my favorite vegetarian dish in all the land. Thin layers of luscious squash, corn, and cheddar cheese makes this perfect as a side or a main meal.
- 2 zucchini (1 green, 1 yellow)
- 1 T butter
- 1 vidalia onion, minced
- 3 cups sweet corn (yellow or white will do)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- sea salt and pepper
The How To:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a cast iron pan, cook your onion in butter until translucent. Add sweet corn, salt, and pepper and cook for about three more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, crack and beat three eggs.
- Using your mandolin, thinly slice both of your zucchini. I set it on two, the second thinnest setting.
- Using a 7×7 baking dish (or something similar), lay two layers of zucchini. Then add 1/3 of your corn and onion mixture, followed by 1/3 of the cheese. Lastly, top with 1/3 of your egg mixture. Continue to layer, ending with the zucchini.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then turn off the oven and let the bake sit for another 10 minutes in the warm oven.
So, what’s it cost?
- 2 zucchini: $1.00
- 1 T butter: $.10
- 1 vidalia onion, minced: $.80
- 3 cups sweet corn: $.99
- 3 eggs: $.33
- 1 cup cheddar cheese: $1.00
Total cost is $4.22, or $1.40/person.