Dad’s meatloaf, sautéed broccoli, baked potatoes
Tonight is one of my favorite comfort food meals. I still have to call my dad for his meatloaf recipe every time I make it. But, I have to confess. I messed this one up BIG TIME. We used my favorite ground beef for this recipe–that’s right–80/20, and that was NOT the right decision. The fat content was too high, and the meatloaf basically boiled in its own grease for an hour. While delicious, I’ll make a leaner choice next time.
- 2lb 90/10 ground beef
- 1/2 onion
- 3 T ketchup; 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 splash buttermilk (you don’t have to use this if you don’t have it)
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T fresh chopped parsley
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 T any mustard (we use Dijon)
- 1 head broccoli
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 T vegetable oil
- butter (to serve)
The How To:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté your onions in about 1 T of your vegetable oil so they’re translucent.
- Add your ground beef, sautéed onion, 3 T ketchup, egg, buttermilk, Italian breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley to a large bowl and mix with your hands. Form into a loaf. If you’re my dad, give it a smack for good measure. Bake for 1 hour.
- To prepare your potatoes, rub with the remaining vegetable oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Place directly on oven rack at the same time you put the loaf in.
- Make your meatloaf sauce next by combining 1/3 cup ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard and mixing with a whisk. Add to the loaf after an hour, and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- When the loaf goes back in the oven for a second time, sautée your broccoli (stems included!) in a wok with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
So, what’s it cost?
- 2lb 90/10 ground beef: $4.99
- 1/2 onion: $.43
- ketchup: $.10
- 1 egg: $.16
- 1 splash buttermilk (you don’t have to use this if you don’t have it): $.10
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs: $.24
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce: $.10
- 2 T fresh chopped parsley: free
- 3 T brown sugar: $.10
- 2 T any mustard (we use Dijon): $.10
- 1 head broccoli: $1.12
- 3 russet potatoes: $.60
- 2 T vegetable oil: $.10
- butter (to serve): $.24
Total cost $8.38, or $2.80/person