Chicken “wings” three ways: (1) garlic butter and Parmesan, (2) garlic hot sauce, (3) crushed pineapple teriyaki, slow cooked kale
Making homemade chicken wings is one of our favorite things to do as a family. But, chicken wings are SCARCE these days. I found a frozen bag of small drumsticks that we used for this recipe.
- 3lb bag of frozen chicken wings (any chicken part works just fine)
- Dry rub: equal parts ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and coriander
- Garlic butter Parmesan sauce: 3/4 head of garlic cloves, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 stick butter
- Garlic hot sauce: 3 T of the garlic butter Parmesan sauce, 1/4 cup hot sauce
- Crushed pineapple teriyaki sauce: 2” piece of pineapple (leftover from burger night), 2 T teriyaki, 2 T hoisin, 1 T sesame oil
- Kale: 1/2 large bag of kale, 1/4 garlic head, 1/2 onion (leftover from burger night), 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 T garlic powder, 1/2 T onion powder, 2 heaping T pork fat (leftover from carnitas night)
- Salt and pepper
The How To:
- We love making a pot of kale or collard greens low and slow all day. Brandon started this pot of kale around noon. To start, cook the garlic and onions in the pork fat in a Dutch oven until translucent. Add all other ingredients and turn your stove down to a 1 or 2–the setting right above “warm”. Check periodically and add water if it gets too dry.
- Next, make your garlic butter. Make this stovetop on low heat by melting your butter. Add the crushed garlic. Cook on low for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with lid.
- About an hour from when you’re ready to eat, start the chicken. Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Toss chicken in dry rub and salt and pepper. Ideally, let sit overnight. Ours sat for an hour and was still fantastic.
- Cook on a broiler pan for 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- While cooking, prepare each sauce.
- Take your garlic butter and mix well. Remove 3 T and put in a separate bowl. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the original bowl (the cheap powdery stuff is best). Mix. Sauce one: done.
- For your next sauce, take the bowl with the 3 T of butter and add 1/4 cup of hot sauce. Mix. Sauce two: done.
- For the Asian style sauce, mix all wet ingredients. Add crushed pineapple. Mix. Sauce three: done.
- Serve and enjoy!
So, what’s it cost?
- 3lb bag of frozen chicken wings: $4.99
- Dry rub: all pantry staples
- 1 head of garlic: $.30
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese: $.35
- 1 stick butter: $1.0
- 1/4 cup hot sauce: $.25
- 2” piece of pineapple (leftover from burger night)
- 2 T teriyaki: $.10
- 2 T hoisin: $.10
- 1 T sesame oil: $.10
- 1/2 large bag of kale: $1.0
- 1/2 onion: (leftover from burger night)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes: $.10
- 1/2 heaping T pork fat: (leftover from carnitas night)
- Salt and pepper
Total cost is $7.39, or $2.46/person