Vegetarian “pot pie” with homemade biscuits
Tonight is brought to you by a series of shortcuts and a 20-minute start to finish buttermilk biscuit recipe, courtesy of one of my favorite home chefs and Marines, Lt Col Terry Evans.
For both recipes, preheat oven to 425 degrees. If possible, do not use the convection setting. You want to heat these from the bottom so the pot pie cooks at the same time as the biscuit.
Ingredients (pot pie):
- 1 bag frozen vegetable soup mix (potatoes, onions, okra, peas, carrots)
- 1/2 bag frozen peas and corn
- 1 can seasoned Lima beans
- 3-4 T flour
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 2 T butter
Ingredients (buttermilk biscuits):
- 2 cups(ish) flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 T frozen riced butter
- 3 T shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
The How To (pot pie):
- Add butter to a cast iron pan on medium high heat.
- Add all frozen vegetables and stir until cooked through and it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan a little.
- Add lima beans.
- Add 2-3 T of flour and mix around until you almost have a gluey paste.
- Add your vegetable stock until you have a runny gravy. Continue to heat on medium heat until you have a nice gravy-like consistency.
- Scoop into six ramekins.
The How To (buttermilk biscuits):
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Sift.
- Take frozen butter (use the whole stick because it’s easier to use–just grate only 3 T) and, using a cheese grater, grate 3 T into the bowl.
- Pinch the flour quickly around the butter, trying not to melt it.
- Add your shortening and use the same method.
- Slowly add your VERY cold buttermilk to your mixture until it comes together but also seems a little dry. Do not over mix.
- Flour your counter and flop your dough into the floured surface.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll to about 1/4″ thickness. Fold. Repeat. Fold. Repeat. Roll again and, using a cup…er…biscuit cutter, make rounds and place one biscuit round on each pot pie.
- Brush each biscuit with melted butter.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until your biscuits are golden brown and your pot pie is bubbly.
So, what’s it cost?
- 1 bag frozen vegetable soup mix (potatoes, onions, okra, peas, carrots): $.99
- 1/2 bag frozen peas and corn: $.50
- 1 can seasoned lima beans: $.50
- 2+ cups flour: $.10
- Veggie stock: homemade
- 5ish T butter: $.60
- 4 tsp baking powder: $.10
- 1/2 tsp baking soda: $.10
- 1 tsp salt: $.10
- 3 T shortening: $.30
- 3/4 cup buttermilk: $.56
Total is $3.85, or $1.28/ person