shawarma chicken, roasted broccoli with black sesame seeds, garlic couscous
There’s something soothing about Sunday chicken dinners. While quarantined, it isn’t practical to stock up on whole chickens—they simply take up too much space and we need space. But these legs are a great option!
- Six chicken legs
- Lidl shawarma sauce
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/2 T sesame seeds
- 1 cup cous cous
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (homemade and frozen just for recipes like this)
The How To:
- Marinate the chicken in about 1 cup of the shawarma sauce for up to six hours in the refrigerator. Remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature an hour before cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Once preheated, bake the chicken for 35 minutes.
- Grate your garlic clove and 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock into your rice cooker with dry cous cous. Set it and forget it.
- Chop your broccoli into 1″ pieces (yes, stems, too). Sauté the broccoli in a wok with about 2 T of vegetable oil. Cook until you’re happy with the texture. We like our veggies still crunchy. Top with the sesame seeds.
- That’s it!
So, what’s it cost?
- Six chicken legs out of a 10lb pack of chicken: $.96
- Lidl shawarma sauce: $2.69
- 1 head of broccoli: $1.12
- 1/2 T sesame seeds: $.10
- 1 cup cous cous: $.40
- 1 clove garlic: $.06
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (homemade and frozen just for recipes like this): free!
Total cost: $5.33, or $1.77 per person