Eggplant and kale lasagna
I stepped away from my desk for 30 minutes today to breathe in some outdoor air and kayak on our lake with Brandon and Trenton. After a long week of long hours, dinner was easy!
1. Requires only 15 minutes of prep
2. Offers a shortcut with jarred sauce
3. Allows advance prep (make the ricotta cheese mixture up to two days in advance)
4. Is perfect for meal prep—freeze and bake at a later time
5. Puts veggies-forward!
- 1 eggplant (feeds four)
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 1/4 cups kale, steamed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
The How To:
- When you wake up, slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2″ thick pieces. Sprinkle LIBERALLY with salt to remove excess moisture. This also removes the bitterness from the vegetable.
- When you’re ready to start making dinner, use a clean dishtowel and brush off the moisture and salt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron stove with 2-4 T vegetable oil. Sear eggplant slices until tender.
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated garlic, toasted pine nuts, season with salt and pepper.
- Take a meatloaf pan (again, this is for four people), and put a layer of tomato sauce at the bottom. Layer with two eggplant slices, then your cheese mixture, then kale, then sauce. Continue to repeat the layers. I got about three layers in. The top layer should be your last eggplant slices, topped with sauce, no cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Add the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella to the top, and broil until golden brown.
- Cut into four slices and serve with salad.
So, what’s it cost?
- 1 eggplant: $2.28
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese: $2.00
- 1 egg: $.16
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella: $2.20
- 3 garlic cloves, grated: $.60
- 1 1/4 cups kale, steamed: $1.12
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted: $.80
- 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce: free homemade from last summer
Served with salad:
- 1 carrot: $.08
- 1/6 cucumber: $.08
- 1/4 c mixed greens: $.45
- 1 radish (free from our garden)
Total cost: $9.77, or $2.44/person (for four servings–we have one leftover)