Citrus Atlantic salmon, roasted asparagus, garlic cous cous and a garlic caper butter sauce
- 2.5 lbs of Atlantic fresh caught salmon
- 1 lime
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 1 cup cous cous
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 jar of capers and their juice
The How To:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Prepare the garlic by chopping all of it finely.
- Add 1 chopped garlic clove to rice cooker with a small glob of butter and 1 cup of pearl cous cous. Add 1 1/4 water and stir. This will take about 20 minutes to cook.
- Keep the skin on the salmon. Place the salmon skin-side down on the baking tray.
- Season the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, and dill all over the top generously.
- Cut 1/2 of your lime into slices. Place on top of the salmon.
- Take one piece of asparagus and bend it near the base until it breaks cleanly.
- Line up the broken asparagus with the unbroken asparagus and cut the remaining asparagus to the same length. Add asparagus to baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 16 minutes or until 120 degrees in the middle fatty part. Take out and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- As the salmon is cooking, make the sauce.
- Melt 3 T of butter in a saucepan. Add 3 T capers, and the remaining chopped garlic. Add the zest of your second 1/2 of the lime, and the juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic is soft and aromatic. I like cooking it on low the entire time the salmon is cooking.
So, what’s it cost?
- 1.8 lbs of Atlantic fresh caught salmon (you still cook 2.5lbs, but the leftovers are used in a different meal): $12.21
- 1 lime: $.50
- 1 bundle asparagus: $.99
- 1 cup cous cous (bought in bulk): $.40
- 4 cloves of garlic: $.23
- 1/3 jar capers and their juice: $.65
Total cost: $14.98, or $4.99/person.